Friday, January 6, 2012

Hachiko

If you haven't heard the story about Hachi, a supremely loyal Akita, I'd encourage you to check out the movie this weekend and grab your Kleenex. This poignant drama is based on a true story of the relationship between Hachi and his master, played by Richard Gere. After his master's premature death, Hachi waits unfailingly for more than a decade for his master to return to the train station.

While watching Hachi: A Dog's Tale, I found myself wondering about the emotional connections dogs have to their owners. Would Emma, my Boston Terrier, wait for me at the train station for more than ten years? If lost at a great distance, would she find her way back to me? I looked at both Emma and Griz last night differently--perhaps their emotional attachment is much greater than I ever imagined.

No comments: