Friday, October 14, 2011

Women Writing the West Conference - Seattle, Washington

I'm looking forward to attending the 2011 Women Writing the West Conference in Seattle, Washington this weekend, October 14-16. I will join members from around the United States and Canada whose work includes all genres written with a western theme.

Conference highlights include two evenings of honoring the LAURA and WILLA finalists and winners. The LAURA Award is presented to short fiction writers and is named in the memory of Laura Ingalls Wilder. The WILLA Award is presented to those who write about women's and girls' stories set in the West and is named in memory of Willa Cather, Pulitzer Prize winning novelist.

During the day I'll be attending a number of workshops including one on marketing, the art of telling true stories, and alternative publishing. Each late afternoon I will join other published writers in the conference book store for book sales and signings.

While I have my eye on certain experiences during the conference, I know it's often the unexpected that occurs while attending conferences: whether it might be learning about a creative writing tool from another genre or finding something in common with someone beyond my day to day experience. So, whether I'm in a scheduled session or hearing new ideas, I look forward to taking in a fresh perspective on the art of writing and its role in my life.

For more information on Women Writing the West, go to:
http://www.womenwritingthewest.org/

No comments: