Thursday, June 16, 2011

At Home in the Elk River Valley Has Arrived!

It is a pleasure to announce the arrival of my book, At Home in the Elk River Valley: Reflections on Family, Place, and the West.

Nearly four years in the making, I feel as though I'm celebrating the birth of a child. For readers who have followed my blog and faithfully waited for my book's release, thank you! I hope you'll find my memoir, as Sharon DeBartolo Carmack, author of You Can Write Your Family History, has said, "...best enjoyed by the fireplace or under a shady elm to transport you into the slower pace of rural living."


I'm also pleased to share that At Home in the Elk River Valley was recently received a review in the Steamboat Magazine and two essays included in the book have been previously recognized. The essay, "Gifts of the Harvest" was featured in the Farm and Ranch Living magazine and "My Grandfather's Footsteps" was honored with the 2010 Routt County Fair Reserve Grand Champion Overall Art Award.


I invite you to walk through the Elk River Valley as I share my perspectives on the people, history, rich landscape, and ranching traditions of the place I've called home for over thirty years. I'll introduce you to modern-day pioneers whose stories inspire and entertain. Meet a long-time rancher who hunts mountain lion where “no man…ever walked”; a larger than life grandmother (usually seen wearing a bonnet and baseball hat) who never quite matched anyone’s image of a rancher; and visionary land preservationists who protected the valley they love for generations to come.


I hope any reader who loves family, place, and, or the West will enjoy my reflections on deeper definitions of family, community, and the physical place we call home.


My book is published by Dog Ear Publishing and available online at:

http://www.marybkurtz.com/
http://www.athomeintheelkrivervalley.com/
http://www.amazon.com/

It is available in Steamboat Springs, Colorado at:
Off the Beaten Path Bookstore
Lyon Drug
And soon at other retailers.

2 comments:

slgreat success said...

So happy for you Mary! New life is arriving all over the ranch - in the way of animals and books!

Mary B. Kurtz said...

Thanks for all your expertise and support, Sue. It's been a great help.